Sat 18 Dec - 15:00 | Dixon Park

Ballyclare Comrades

Heggarty 10', Ramsey 73'



McGrandles 21', Arthurs 25', Cafolla 59', Jallow 90+3'

Sat 18 Dec - 15:00 | Dixon Park


Ballyclare Comrades

Heggarty 10', Ramsey 73'


McGrandles 21', Arthurs 25', Cafolla 59', Jallow 90+3'


For sponsorship info, please contact: [email protected]


For sponsorship info, please contact: [email protected]

Pre-Match Guide

The pre-match guide will show here the day before kick off…

We return home tomorrow afternoon as the Comrades welcome Ards to Dixon Park in our next Lough 41 Championship fixture.

Match Info

When: Saturday 18th December – Kick-Off 3:00pm

Where: Dixon Park

What: Lough 41 Championship

Entry: Pay at the gate – £8 (Adult) / £5 (Concession)

Match Sponsor – Ballyclare Radiator Services

Ball Sponsor – Country Diner Catering

The Opponents

Ards currently occupy 6th spot in the Lough 41 Championship. Last week, they travelled to Blanchflower Park where they were defeated 2-1 by HW Welders. Scott Davidson opened the scoring for the Welders on 28 minutes when, on the counter, he got on the end of a low driven ball across the box to smash the finish past Brian Neeson. The Welders then doubled their advantage early in the second through substitute Matthew Henry after Davidson found him in space inside the area to beat Neeson at the near post. Ards managed to pull one back on 78 minutes after Salou Jallow found Paddy Cafolla on the edge of the area who then turned and sent a clinical strike past Ben McCauley from 12 yards, but the Welders done enough to hang on to all 3 points.

The Comrades

Two goals midway through the second half saw Dergview defeat Ballyclare Comrades at Darragh Park last week. Scoreless at the break, the Comrades came close to open the scoring on a number of occasions. Ciaran Heggarty flashed a header just wide early on before turning provider to tee up Gary Donnelly to send a 20-yard effort the wrong side of the target. Heggarty continued to be a threat, with another header coming from a Lee McCune cross while, early in the second half, he twice tested Dergview keeper Alan Buchanan albeit with no success. However, that all counted for nothing on 67 minutes when the home side moved in front courtesy of Cathal Farren’s successfully converted spot-kick. Then, just six minutes after that, it was 2-0 after a good team move teed Matthew Kirk up to beat Richard Purcell with a sublime finish. The result sees the Comrades drop to 8th position in the Lough 41 Championship for the first time this season. Speaking on tomorrow’s fixture, Paul Harbinson is looking forward to “getting back home again and feeling the buzz of our hometown, feeling the buzz of our home community. We’re all in this together and we will get there.”

Last Time Out

The last time these two sides met. Ards stormed to a comprehensive 3-0 victory at Clandeboye Park back in September. Ards opened the scoring on the half-hour mark when a ball played into the box wasn’t cleared by the Comrades and fell to Cafolla who drilled an excellent finish into the net from the edge of the box. On 42 minutes, the hosts doubled their lead; a well-worked move opened up the Comrades defence and created the chance for Arthurs to blast an unstoppable finish past Jack Ferguson from 16 yards. Ards finished off a deserved win with another goal late in the game. Comrades were exposed by a quick break up-field which beat the offside trap and the ball was played low into the box by Jallow, setting up McCurry to finish from 10 yards.


Match Report

It is now nine league games without a win for Comrades, as they conceded four goals to lose to Ards at Dixon Park.

Inside 20 seconds the hosts conceded a penalty when Lee McCune was adjudged to have pushed McCurry over in the box. However, they were rescued by ‘keeper Jack Ferguson who guessed the right way and made a save from Calderwood’s spot kick.

Comrades continued to come under pressure from Ards in the early stages of the game, but it was they who opened the scoring in the 10th minute when Ciaran Heggarty got his head to a great ball played in from a free kick by Ian Fletcher and directed it like a rocket into the net from 8 yards.

A minute later the home side threatened again when Tom Mathieson got into the box and fired a powerful shot on goal from 16 yards which ‘keeper Neeson had to parry out at the near post.

Comrades were on top for a spell now and had a chance to double their lead in the 16th minute when an Ards defender misjudged a high ball and Liam Hassin stole possession before laying the ball across to Ian Fletcher in space at the edge of the box. However, he was denied when his shot was blocked by Neeson who alert to the danger had advanced from his goal.

Ards were back on level terms in the 22nd minute and it came from a corner, not for the last time during the game that Comrades were to be undone from a set-piece. On this occasion the ball was whipped into the crowded 6-yard box and not cleared, with McGrandles eventually heading in from close range.

The visitors were now back on the front-foot and on 24 minutes it took a great covering tackle in the box by Curtis Woods to deny McCurry who looked to be running free in on goal.

A minute later however Ards did take the lead. A free kick played into the box saw the unmarked Ferrin get a get a header on goal from 7 yards which Jack Ferguson did well to keep out, but Arthurs was quickest to react to the loose ball, tucking it away from 3 yards out.

The hosts were then further hit with having to make two enforced substitutions due to injuries to Ian Fletcher and Tom Mathieson, but they managed to avoid conceding again before the half-time whistle.

The second half opened brightly enough for the hosts, with Adam Gray fizzing a good strike from 20 yards low just past the post in the 47th minute. However, Ards soon began to look dangerous again and on 53 minutes they came close when McCurry got to a long ball played to the edge of the box before the outrushing ‘keeper, but he was driven wide and his effort on the unguarded goal went past the far post.

In the 58th minute the visitors got a third goal and again it came from a set-piece. This time a corner was played to the back post was met by a Cafolla header which was not the most powerful but still managed to creep inside the post in slow motion as Comrades somehow failed to clear it.

Things looked bleak for the home side, but they eventually managed to rouse themselves. On 69 minutes a ball played into the box from deep by Lee McCune was met by Liam Hassin who got between two defenders, but his volleyed effort from 6 yards was off target. Then on 73 minutes Comrades did get a goal back when the ball was laid to Ashton McDermott from a corner, and he whipped a good ball to the back post area where Chris Ramsey was there to head it in from 4 yards.

The home side now sniffed the chance of salvaging something from the game, but they couldn’t find the vital goal. The closest they came was a minute into injury-time when substitute Joe Tully stung the palms of the ‘keeper with a shot driven in from the left side of the box.

Three minutes into added time Ards sealed the win when, with Comrades pressing forward, they launched a devastating counter-attack which ended with Jallow rounding the ‘keeper and slotting the ball calmly home from a tight angle.


Match Photos

Match Reaction