Sat 23 Apr - 15:00 | The Dub

Queen's University

Calvert 18', Bonnes 30'


Ballyclare Comrades

Hassin 28', 53'

Sat 23 Apr - 15:00 | The Dub


Queen's University

Calvert 18', Bonnes 30'

Ballyclare Comrades

Hassin 28', 53'

Pre-Match Guide

We travel to The Dub tomorrow afternoon to take on Queen’s University in our penultimate 2021/22 Lough 41 Championship fixture.

Match Info

When: Saturday 23rd April – Kick-Off 3:00pm

Where: The Dub

What: Lough 41 Championship

Entry: Pay at the gate – £8 (Adult) / £5 (Concession)

The Opponents

Queen’s University currently occupy bottom spot of the Lough 41 Championship by 1 point with 2 games remaining. On Tuesday evening, Dundela came from behind to defeat Queen’s University at The Dub. The Students raced into an early lead when, after a couple of minutes, Chris Middleton converted from the spot following a foul on Ben Mulgrew. However, the Duns levelled around ten minutes from the break through David Fearon. And the visitors went on to claim the points just after the hour when Kyle Owens directed a header past keeper Conan Doherty.

The Comrades

The Comrades secured Lough 41 Championship football on Tuesday evening as we shared six goals with Knockbreda in an entertaining encounter at Dixon Park. The Comrades moved in front after a quarter-of-an-hour when Adam McCart beat Daniel Oates with a bullet header but just a couple of minutes after that Ciaran Heggarty was on hand to level for ‘Breda. Ballyclare scored twice early in the second half to move firmly into the lead. Jason Johnston nodded home a Ryan Arthur free-kick before Liam Hassin tapped home a third after Kyle Beggs had sent the ball to the back post. ‘Breda reduced the deficit on 72 minutes through Karl Hamill on the counter attack before Lee McGreevy bagged the equaliser in stoppage time.

Last Time Out

The last time these two sides met, Ballyclare Comrades and Queen’s University battled to a 1-1 draw at Dixon Park with both goals coming in the first half. The home side came close to breaking the deadlock early on when an Ian Fletcher free-kick was headed against the crossbar by a visiting defender before, from the follow up, Michael Smith also directed his header against the woodwork. But Ballyclare did find a way through on 14 minutes courtesy of Kyle Beggs’ cross-come-shot which bypassed everyone to end up in the net. However the Students levelled just before the half-hour mark through Leon Bonnes after he got his head to a corner while, on the stroke of half-time, Fletcher was on hand to clear the ball off the line. The second half was a much less lively affair with neither side able to settle nor grab what could well have been the winner.


Match Report

Comrades twice came from behind to secure a point from their trip to The Dub to play Queen’s University.

The hosts started strongly and in the 3rd minute they threatened when McKenna struck a powerful effort from the edge of the box which flew inches over the bar.

Both sides were trying to play progressive attacking football, but Queen’s were more effective in the first half, as Comrades often saw decent moves end with a poor final ball.

The home side opened the scoring on 17 minutes when the ball was held up the box from a throw-in and then laid off to Calvert who smashed it into the roof of the net from 8 yards.

Comrades didn’t buckle however and struck an equaliser in the 28th minute. Andrew Mooney received the ball just inside the box from a throw-in and fed Liam Hassin who broke through a tackle and poked an effort inside the near post from 6 yards.

Two minutes later Queen’s regained the lead when from a corner Bonnes powered an unstoppable header home from 8 yards,

The hosts went in at the break value for their lead, but the second half was to be a different affair in which Comrades edged things. They came out looking dangerous from the off, particularly on the counterattack. From one such move they levelled the scores in the 53rd minute. Curtis Woods played a good diagonal ball forward which set Caiolan Brennan free on the left. The young winger then cut the ball back into the box where Liam Hassin finished with a good first-time strike from 7 yards.

Four minutes later Queen’s had a chance when the ball was pulled back from the by-line to Caomhan McGuinness who the saw his shot from 6 yards turned around the post off the leg of Jack Ferguson.

The Comrades’ ‘keeper had to be alert again on 61 minutes when the hosts, who still carried a significant threat, got the ball into the box and it broke to the Atrach who got in a header from 6 yards that was kept out by a fine reflex save from Ferguson.

The visitors continued to pose a real danger on the break, particularly after the introduction of Kyle Beggs midway through the half. On 78 minutes he got his head to a high ball pumped forward and knocked it down into the path of Andrew Mooney who strode clear of the Queen’s defence, but he was denied as he shot from 16 yards by a good block from Conan Doherty who had advanced from his goal.

On 81 minutes a good move opened up the hosts’ defence and Liam Hassin played in Tom Mathieson for a chance from the edge of the box, but he shot over the bar.

Both teams kept going for the winner right up to the final whistle, but in the end had to settle for a draw which a fair outcome.


Match Highlights

Match Photos

Match Reaction