Sat 20 Aug - 15:00 | Darragh Park



Ballyclare Comrades

Fletcher 64', Hassin 76', McCurry 90+1'

Sat 20 Aug - 15:00 | Darragh Park



Ballyclare Comrades

Fletcher 64', Hassin 76', McCurry 90+1'

Pre-Match Guide

We travel to Darragh Park tomorrow afternoon to take on Dergview in our next Lough 41 Championship fixture.

Match Info

When: Saturday 20th August – Kick-Off 3:00pm

Where: Darragh Park

What: Lough 41 Championship

Entry: Pay at the gate – £8 (Adult) / £5 (Concession)

The Opponents

Dergview got off to a poor start against Championship debutants, Newington, last week with a 4-1 defeat at Solitude. Patrick Downey opened the scoring for the Swans as early as the first minute after pouncing on a defensive mix up, before skipper Richard Gowdy added a second after a quarter-of-an-hour. Darren Stuart made it 3-0 a couple of minutes after that on the counter attack before Dergview pulled one back through Calvin McCallion after the ball fell loose. That was how it stayed until the 74th minute when Stuart doubled his tally to complete a memorable afternoon for Newington.

The Comrades

Ballyclare Comrades and Ballinamallard United fought out a scoreless draw last week’s season opener at Dixon Park. The Mallards squandered an early chance to seize the advantage when, after a quarter-of-an-hour, BJ Banda struck the crossbar with a penalty after he had been brought down by Conall McGrandles. For Ballyclare, Joe Tully perhaps came closest just before the break only to be denied by a goalline Mark Stafford clearance. Stafford saved the Mallards again later in the game with another header off the line to thwart Cathal Farren while Banda had a late chance only to send the ball wide from a good position.

Last Time Out

The last time these two sides met in March 2022, the Comrades got the better of Dergview with a 2-1 victory over Dergview at Dixon Park. The Comrades trailed at the break when Matthew Buchanan poked the visitors in front midway through the first half after connecting with a free-kick to the back post. However, Ballyclare levelled midway through the second half in somewhat bizarre circumstances. Awarded a penalty for a foul on Jason Johnston, Michael Smith saw his spot-kick saved twice but each time the referee ruled that the attempt be retaken after keeper Patrick McGarvey had come off his line. Then, at the third attempt and with a change of kicker, Ian Fletcher stepped up to bury the ball in the net. Spurred on by this, the home side edged into the lead on 77 minutes when Caiolan Brennan fired into the top corner from the edge of the box. And then, to make sure of the points, Kyle Beggs dispossessed a defender before squaring the ball for Liam Hassin to make it 3-1 with a tap in.


Match Report

Comrades came back from the long trip to Castlederg with all three points after they took advantage of playing against ten men in the second half to defeat Dergview.

After a scrappy opening to the game, it was the hosts who threatened first when on 17 minutes Maguire McLaughlin fired in a shot from 16 yards which Richard Purcell was well placed to save.

Comrades’ first attempt on goal came in the 22nd minute when Liam Hassin hit a well-struck shot from 25 yards which took a defection off a defender and ended up kindly in the ‘keeper’ arms.

On 29 minutes Dergview had a chance when McCarron cut on from the left and hit a shot towards the near post from 15 yards which Purcell was able to collect.

In the 43rd minute the Comrades ‘keeper had to produce a solid save to thwart Falconer after he had hit a powerful shot on target from just inside the box.

The first half ended with the pivotal moment of the game. In the 45th minute a dangerous Comrades attack was ended when Deane tripped Darius Roohi who looked like he could run in on goal. The referee saw this as denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity and produced a straight red card for the home defender.

From the resulting free-kick Cónall McGrandles struck an effort from 20 yards which deflected off the wall and inches wide of the target.

The visitors, with the numerical advantage, were on the front foot for most of the second half. They cam close to opening the scoring in the 51st minute when Cathal Farren was unlucky to see his curling 25-yard shot come off the outside of the post.

The hosts frustrated Comrades until the 63rd minute when a somewhat unusual goal broke the deadlock. Ian Fletcher took an in-swinging corner from the right and whipped the ball in towards the goal deceiving ‘keeper McGarvey who reacted too late to keep it from crossing the goal line.

The visitors continued to have the bulk of the attacking play, but a second goal was needed to cement their advantage. It came in the 77th minute when a quick break up-field ended with Calvin McCurry squaring the ball across to Liam Hassin who was free in the box, and the young midfielder made no mistake with a cool finish from 11 yards.

The same combination could have led to a third goal when on 83 minutes McCurry set up Hassin for another chance, but this time he blasted well over from 16 yards.

The third goal did however come a minute into injury time when, after good play on the halfway line by Conall Curran, Calvin McCurry was set free to outpace the Dergview defence and dink a fine finish over the advancing ‘keeper from the edge of the box.


Match Photos

Match Reaction