Pre-Match Guide | Dergview 20/08/22

We travel to Darragh Park tomorrow afternoon to take on Dergview in our next Lough 41 Championship fixture.

Match Info

When: Saturday 20th August – Kick-Off 3:00pm

Where: Darragh Park

What: Lough 41 Championship

Entry: Pay at the gate – £8 (Adult) / £5 (Concession)

The Opponents

Dergview got off to a poor start against Championship debutants, Newington, last week with a 4-1 defeat at Solitude. Patrick Downey opened the scoring for the Swans as early as the first minute after pouncing on a defensive mix up, before skipper Richard Gowdy added a second after a quarter-of-an-hour. Darren Stuart made it 3-0 a couple of minutes after that on the counter attack before Dergview pulled one back through Calvin McCallion after the ball fell loose. That was how it stayed until the 74th minute when Stuart doubled his tally to complete a memorable afternoon for Newington.

The Comrades

Ballyclare Comrades and Ballinamallard United fought out a scoreless draw last week’s season opener at Dixon Park. The Mallards squandered an early chance to seize the advantage when, after a quarter-of-an-hour, BJ Banda struck the crossbar with a penalty after he had been brought down by Conall McGrandles. For Ballyclare, Joe Tully perhaps came closest just before the break only to be denied by a goalline Mark Stafford clearance. Stafford saved the Mallards again later in the game with another header off the line to thwart Cathal Farren while Banda had a late chance only to send the ball wide from a good position.

Last Time Out

The last time these two sides met in March 2022, the Comrades got the better of Dergview with a 2-1 victory over Dergview at Dixon Park. The Comrades trailed at the break when Matthew Buchanan poked the visitors in front midway through the first half after connecting with a free-kick to the back post. However, Ballyclare levelled midway through the second half in somewhat bizarre circumstances. Awarded a penalty for a foul on Jason Johnston, Michael Smith saw his spot-kick saved twice but each time the referee ruled that the attempt be retaken after keeper Patrick McGarvey had come off his line. Then, at the third attempt and with a change of kicker, Ian Fletcher stepped up to bury the ball in the net. Spurred on by this, the home side edged into the lead on 77 minutes when Caiolan Brennan fired into the top corner from the edge of the box. And then, to make sure of the points, Kyle Beggs dispossessed a defender before squaring the ball for Liam Hassin to make it 3-1 with a tap in.