Pre-Match Guide | Queen’s University 26/02/22

We welcome Queen’s University to Dixon Park tomorrow afternoon in our next Lough 41 Championship fixture.

Match Info

When: Saturday 26th February – Kick-Off 3:00pm

Where: Dixon Park

What: Lough 41 Championship

Entry: Pay at the gate – £8 (Adult) / £5 (Concession)

Match Sponsor: Metal Technology

Ball Sponsor: SM Plumbing & Heating

The Opponents

Queen’s currently occupy bottom spot in the Lough 41 Championship. With a lot of league games postponed last week due to the conditions, their last outing was away to Dundela where a goal in each half saw Dundela get the better of Queen’s at Wilgar Park. The Duns moved in front after 12 minutes when, following a David McMaster corner, some confusion in the box eventually ended with Michael Kerr getting the final touch to scramble the ball home. That was how it stayed until just after the hour when Spencer Beattie, a recent arrival from Ballymena United, slid the ball into the bottom corner following some good work down the right by Rhys Annett.

The Comrades

The Comrades also had last week’s fixture against Loughgall postponed due to the conditions. Our last outing was the 2-1 away defeat to Harland & Wolff Welders on the 11th February. Ballyclare started brightly and created a number of half chances during the opening exchanges through Kyle Beggs and Caiolan Brennan. However, somewhat against the run of play, the deadlock was broken on 28 minutes when Gary Lavery fired the Welders in front with an effort from distance which went low and hard under keeper Richard Purcell into the bottom corner. Then, on the hour, Jonny Frazer made it 2-0 with a sweeping right foot finish from just inside the area after Scott McMillan had crossed from the right. The Comrades pulled a goal back ten minutes after that. Brennan sent a corner over from the left which Jason Johnston connected with to head home at the back post.

Last Time Out

The last time these two sides met, Queen’s University took home all 3 points with a two-goal victory over Ballyclare Comrades at Dixon Park. Despite the eventual outcome Ballyclare enjoyed numerous chances during the scoreless first half with Queen’s keeper Daniel Devine doing well to deny Lee McCune, Liam McKenna and Ian Fletcher at various points during the opening 45 minutes. Queen’s moved in front just four minutes after the break through Matthew McManus who got his head to a free-kick delivered from wide on the flank to glance the ball past Richard Purcell. The home side attempted to get back into the game but, once again, Devine was equal to efforts from McKenna and Joe Tully. The visitors doubled their advantage, and made sure of the points, with just under a quarter-of-an-hour remaining. Awarded a spot-kick, Chris Middleton’s initial effort had to be retaken but Purcell saved the second attempt only for Middleton to ultimately find the net on the rebound.