Pre-Match Guide | Ballinamallard United 12.11.22

We travel to Ferney Park tomorrow afternoon to take on Ballinamallard United in our next Lough 41 Championship fixture.

Match Info

When: Saturday 12th November – Kick-Off 2:00pm

Where: Ferney Park

What: Lough 41 Championship

Entry: Pay at the gate

The Opponents

Ballinamallard United had to settle for a share of the spoils with Warrenpoint Town at Milltown during the week. Steven Ball had given ‘Point the half-time advantage after sending a right-foot effort past Michael Lynch into the bottom corner. However, the Mallards left with a point after Shane McGinty converted from the spot just after the hour.

The Comrades

Neither Ballyclare Comrades nor HW Welders could find the net at Dixon Park on Tuesday but it wasn’t for the want of trying. The home side were denied midway through the first half when a free-kick was cleared off the line while, not long before the break, the Welders’ Craig Harris hit an effort against the crossbar. After the break Matthew Ferguson had the ball in the net for the visitors but this was ruled out by the officials.

Last Time Out

The last time these two sides met was in the Bet McLean League Cup in September. The Comrades came from two goals down to advance past Ballinamallard after a thrilling encounter at Dixon Park. The visitors grabbed the lead in the opening 30 minutes when a counter-attacked ended with Declan Breen having to make a good save from a McAleer effort from inside the box, but Reece Byrne was first to the loose ball, slotting home from 6 yards. With Comrades reeling from going behind, Mallards doubled their lead in the 33rd minute when they beat the offside trap and Edgar ran free to finish confidently past Breen. The hosts pulled a goal back on 37 minutes when a Mallards player blocked a Liam Hassin effort with an outstretched arm inside the box and a penalty was awarded which Darius Roohi confidently dispatched. The hosts had a great chance to level the scores on 71 minutes when they were awarded another penalty after a great move down the left ended with a ball into the box being blocked by another outstretched Mallards arm. Recently introduced substitute Cathal Farren stepped up to take the penalty but his effort placed just inside the post was kept out by a superb save from Ray. Incredibly, five minutes later, Comrades were awarded their third penalty of the night when Calvin McCurry was chopped down in the box. This time Gary Donnelly took the responsibility to shoot from the spot and he made no mistake to equalise for his team. The game moved to extra-time and on 101 minutes the guile of Gary Donnelly unlocked the visitors’ defence to find Conall Curran who finished confidently from 15 yards to put Comrades ahead for the first time in the game. In the dying moments of the game the visitors were caught out pressing forward when ‘keeper Ray was robbed of the ball just inside the Mallards half by Liam Hassin who ran forward to slot home into the empty net and seal victory for Comrades.